ink on claybord
This piece has been in the works for a while now. I didn't know what it was going to end up looking like when I started it. The main detail that motivated the work was the vertical band running down the middle to highlight the bifurcation I seem to be obsessed with.
This is what she looked like after I laid down all of the initial ink (pretty sure this took up at least a month of my time). I knew I really wanted to give attention to the "being" in the foreground, so my first (or second, I suppose) dive into the drawing was laying in the colored outlines, knowing that there was nothing to be left alone or cut apart by more and more information. Having laid those outer lines down, I realized my background was just to overpowering. Working on another piece and having just discovered one of my new favorite tools - white Rapidograph Universal ink - I pushed back the 'background' (notice how the swirling helixes flow perfectly with the inner recesses of the creature).
I don't have a title, yet, and I won't push for one until it's time to start getting all of my work finalized for my show at the Kentuck Museum in May. Until then it will remain a temptation on my wall, begging me to make changes.
Be a friend: tell me I'm done.