February 3, 2010

Watersketti

Started this Monday night and finished on Tuesday afternoon. The thing that I wanted to see was what it would do to the overall design if I set two separate color families adjacent to one another. I really like the effect, as it polarizes the picture. All the cooler colors are designated as essentially coming from the right, as the warmer colors are coming from the left. I originally drew the work rotated 45 degrees clockwise. But I upended it on a corner because I liked the push-pull between the complementarity of the color to be drawn in a perfectly perpendicular direction to the "ground", as it balances perfectly on one corner, giving a sense of magnetization, as if the colors were fighting to push the drawing over in one fashion or another... but because of their evenly matched weights (though, this isn't quite true), the picture magically stands tall.



"Watersketti"
permanent marker on paper
7x7"

No comments:

Post a Comment